The cornerstone of the Holy Resurrection Church - the first stone temple of Sumy - was laid by Colonel Gerasim Kondratiev 30 years after the founding of the city itself.
The birthday of the Holy Resurrection church is October 23, 1702, when the church was consecrated. Then, under the roof of the new church, Christian songs were heard for the first time, and during this outstanding event almost all the residents of the city were present.
But the fact of the consecration of the temple did not indicate the completion of the construction - the work continued for several more years, in particular, after the end of the lower church it was consecrated in honor of St. Andrew the First-Called, guardian angel of the Sumy Colonel. The upper church was consecrated in honor of the Resurrection of Christ.
There is a very interesting and eerie legend about the ghost of a girl who still "lives" in the Holy Resurrection Church. This is the ghost of Gerasim Kondratiev`s sister (according to another version - his daughter), who allegedly was immured in the walls of the temple. But the servants of the church refute these rumors and suggest that the reason for the appearance of the legend could be that the Resurrection Church was the family burial vault of the Kondratiev family.